Thin or Fat – A Question of Math
No matter if you are thin or fat the truth is you are in the shape you have chosen to be. It may sound unbelievable at first so let me explain what I mean.
It’s deep in our nature to have multiple wishes and cravings. Human mind is a very complex system that manages all of our wishes. Whether we know it consciously or not our mind counts all the things we want as one but with many pluses and minuses.
Let’s have a look at a simple example:
You are absolutely sure there is only one thing you want in this world – to be thin. It is crystal clear, you’ve set your specific goals (-3 pounds a week), you are doing what it takes (dieting and working out daily) and still you are not getting your desired result.
What is stopping you?
Now let’s look at the complex mathematician calculations your mind has to make:
Wish#1 – Getting thin
Minor wishes you may not be fully aware of (on a subconscious level you would still want to):
– go out with friends on Fridays
– sleep until you are almost late
– eating French fries (occasionally)
– enjoying latest from Oprah with a bowl of chocolate ice-crème
– drink alcohol at parties
– please your family and friends (by not refusing another portion)
– the list goes on and I strongly recommend that you write down all the things you think you love and you’d better forget about if you want to be thin.
When I say these are your wishes I don’t really mean that you fulfill them. Just the contrary. I’m sure you know these are incompatible with your weight loss plan and try hard to avoid them.
This is the real problem. By trying hard to avoid something that you want you give your wish a negative value.
So, back to maths. I want you to give a numeral value (1 to 10) to all the wishes in your list. Say you evaluate your #1 wish by 10, because that is what you want most. Go on with every minor wish in your list –
– go out with friends on Fridays – 2
– sleep until you are almost late -3
– eating French fries (occasionally) – 1
– enjoying latest from Oprah with a bowl of chocolate ice-crème – 1
– drink alcohol at parties – 1
– please your family and friends (by not refusing another portion) – 4
– have an excuse for almost any situation (you know, fat people can’t……….) – 6
Here is the equation:
As I told you above our mind counts all the things we want as one. You aim at a perfect body but your minor wishes are holding you back. So
Getting thin (10) – [ go out with friends on Fridays (2) + sleep until you are almost late (3) + eating French fries (1) + enjoying latest from Oprah with a bowl of chocolate ice-crème (1) + drink alcohol at parties (1) + please your family and friends (4) + have an excuse for almost any situation (6)]
= 10 – 18= -8
I hope this makes it clear for you why you cannot lose weight although that is what you want most. The fact is your mind needs more positive or less negative points so that it can tell your body what to do (lose weight).
The good news is you can change the equation the way you want.
First I want you think again about what you really want. I know you have already stated it in the most explicit way “I WANT TO BE THIN”.
Well, I’ve got news for you.
You don’t want to be thin.
In fact you want the benefits that being thin would give you:
– you want to go to the beach and wear a two piece bathing suit with confidence
– you want to tuck your shirt in without your belly looking huge
– you want to have higher self-esteem;
– you want to feel better about yourself
– you want to eat without feeling like the people around you are judging you for every bite you put in your mouth.
– you want to feel sexy
– you want to be a healthy role model for your children
– you want to no more cringe at photographs of yourself
– you want to have more energy and be more productive
– ………………….feel free to continue this list
You could make a similar list with the downsides you associate with “being fat”.
I want you to go through the lists analyzing each benefit/downside. Try to make each one stronger so that it would weigh more in the equation above.
Repeat this exercise listing the benefits of being fat and the downsides of being thin. Try to make each of them weaker so that it would weigh less in the equation.
You need to make this analysis on a deep emotional level. Take your time, no need to hurry. Try to visualize and feel every aspect of being thin or fat.
After this exercise you will find yourself clear-headed about why you want to be thin or fat.